Tuesday 5 August 2008

The Season is Forthcoming - Prediction Time.

It is less than a week until the season starts. At 12:30 on Saturday Falkirk and Rangers will kick off the 08/09 SPL Season (Assuming those pesky referees sort out their differing view points on pay with the SPL).

So what does the season hold in store for the football fans country wide?

Dundee United
Purely selfish, a whole section on United.

How will we do?

Rather well actually! In all seriousness, I think we have got to look for some sort of improvement on last season without getting too carried away, as this has happened many a time before and always ends up in disappointment.

We have done a fair bit of wheeling and dealing and brought in some good players. Sandaza has looked good and just needs match fitness, Feeney looks like and handful and, in my view, we have made our most important signing in getting Willo Flood back for the next year.

A big bonus for me is what looks like the return of Prince Bauben. If stories were to be believed, the Ghanian had played his last match for us. Now thought the outlook is different. He has looked back to his best in pre-season and I can't wait for him to resume his partnership with Gomis in the midfield.

Finishing spot?

I take us for fourth with a good cup run thrown in.

First for the boot?

Who will be the first Managerial casualty?

Over at Easter Road Mixu isn't looking too clever is he? It been a rough pre-season for the big Finn and there has been a surprising lack of goals and signings. Couple this with reports that he wants rid of 9 players and has stated he won't be replacing them, the axe may fall early in the season. In saying that, you don't want to peak in your pre-season fixtures and maybe they will the ground running come the start of the season.

A close second for the punt has to be Jim Jefferies. I can't see Killie doing too much this season. Again there has been a lack of signings, mostly due to lack of funds, couple this with new signing Russell picking up an injury pre-season, I see a tough time ahead for Killie and it may end up that the club will cut their losses and punt the big man.


Relegation

Who is facing the drop?

Many people will fancy Hamilton for the drop but I think Billy Reid will get them off to a decent start. They will be fired up and looking to prove a point and a good start could well see them stay up.

Prime candidates for me are Killie (see above), St. Mirren. St Mirren just don't seem to have added enough quality and this could well catch up with them.


Champs

Who will take the crown?

If I'm honest I can see past Celtic. Fair enough they maybe haven't added as much as Rangers but I think they will still be good enough.

I can't say I have been to impressed with Wattie's signings but hey, he might prove me wrong.

What do you think? Am I way off the mark?

Let me know your predictions for the season ahead

No comments: